Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Toes that can't hold spoons


11 For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe's people, that there are quarrels among you. 12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ." 13 Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? - 1Cr 1:11-13 NASB



It is a funny thing that even from the beginning we just had to decide who was more right and who was more wrong. How far have we truly come in two thousand years? Since the beginning of the Church we have, as a whole, sought to be the "greatest amongst" one another. This has largely been done by means of proclaiming that one holds a greater truth than another. "I have the greatest understanding of Christ! He obviously was like this, and spoke this way, and did these things.. blah blah blah.." We obsess with being the first to know, or the one to know the most. We fight and squabble over these details. We draw lines in the sand. We are more ready to separate when there is disagreement than to reconcile. 


My generation has decided that they are revolutionaries and they constantly run off and start a new church when the old one has 'dried up.' Has no one done this before?! We don't need another reformation! We need reconciliation. When things stray from the truth we need people who are willing to do the harder thing and attempt to making changes within and not decide to go outside and start something completely 'new'. 


I realize that there are cases when this is unavoidable, but this is becoming a default choice instead of a last resort. I hate divisions. It makes it harder to find the truth when people are not willing to discuss the problems. Have we forgotten that we are a body with many members? Some see things differently, some expect different things, some have different priorities, some value some expressions of worship over others, etc. Big deal, we should grow from this, not become divided. Denominations have become Divisions, and instead of confronting one another in love, we just simply love to confront one another. And we still find a body that points fingers at toes and accuses them that they are holding the spoon wrong. 




1 comment:

  1. Okay, boy... I tweeted your link. :)

    This is a really accurate observation and one that Mr. Mark has believed his entire ministry. There were a couple of times when he could have divided a church wide open. But, he always believed that his ministry should not be one of division but of reconciliation.

    I am glad to see you in blog world.

    Follow me!!

    Love,
    Momma Debbie

    ReplyDelete